What a long, strange trip he’s had

The odds of winning the lottery and getting an exclusive interview with the president in one lifetime are pretty slim. Make that the Mexican lottery and that president Saddam Hussein and the odds get significantly smaller. But beating the odds has never been an issue for Oscar Delgado. The Evanston resident’s list of accomplishments is as impressive as it is unlikely: millionaire, Latin American scholar, senior war producer for NBC news.

And now add “movie producer.” On the heels of his debut movie “The Learning Curve,” Delgado sat down with nyou to talk about his life, his ambitions — and incredible blessings.

Q: Just out of curiosity, what is your favorite movie? Who is your favorite movie star?

A: “Groundhog Day” was my favorite, because it was such a spiritual movie. It shows how you should live your life. My favorite movie stars are Kevin Spacey, Al Pacino, and Robert De Niro.

Q: I understand some of your most rewarding years were spent as NBC’s Latin American Bureau chief. What were some highlights?

A: Right before the Gulf War, I interviewed Saddam Hussein. It was the first time that Israel was targeted. I asked him how he expected to win, but he didn’t seem to get it. I really enjoyed covering the different conflicts.

Q: If you loved journalism, why did you switch to film production?

A: I have always loved films. With news, everything is fast. You always have to be ready for what’s next. But I wanted something more permanent, something to look back on that would make a statement. People don’t exactly look back on newscasts.

Q: I know I speak on behalf of all wishful thinkers when I ask — How did you feel when you won $4.2 million in the 1992 Mexican lottery?

A: I am very blessed. There are two things that everyone wants — to win the lottery and to make movies. I was very lucky to get both. I went to the University of Chicago for my masters in Latin American affairs and journalism, but after I won the lottery, I still kept working in Bosnia and Haiti, because it was such an adrenaline rush, and I loved it. At the time, I had a great job as the senior war producer at NBC. I knew I had to quit eventually though, because the assignments were too dangerous, and my parents were pressuring me to stop.

Q: Why did you contribute nearly half of your winnings towards the making of “The Learning Curve”?

A: I was looking for a project that I really believed in, as well as a director who shared the same vision that I had. At first, I wanted to produce “Divine Mercy.” Unfortunately, the budget was $20 million, so I opted for something smaller-scale but with the same high production. It was definitely worth it, because the film has a great moral core.

Q: What was the project, “Divine Mercy,” about?

A: It’s a movie about a white priest named Father Mike, who works with kids in an African-American neighborhood. It’s all about spiritual morality and people finding God.

Q: What were the advantages and disadvantages of producing an independent film?

A: The advantage is that you have complete control, and you can do whatever you want. We were lucky to get picked up by MGM for the video and DVD rights. But the disadvantage is that if you don’t have a big star, you don’t have a big theatrical release. I think we have a lot of breakout stars though. Vincent (Ventresca). He’s hot. Steve (Bauer) was in “Traffic.” Majandra (Delfino) is in “Roswell.” We had a great casting director. These are the stars of the future.

Q: In the wake of the recent terrorist attacks, how do you think the audience will react to the action sequences in this film? What kind of reaction are you aiming for?

A: Tomorrow (Oct. 2) is the World Premiere for the film, but no one wants to get on a plane. They were thinking of moving the release up to January, but I didn’t want that. The film’s got a great moral base, and it’s exactly what people are looking for right now. This film is heavy. It’s about the choices we make. I never wanted this to be mindless entertainment.

Q: What do you want to accomplish in the movie industry?

A: As long as I can continue to direct and produce movies, I’ll be happy.

Q: “The Learning Curve” is a great debut film. Can we expect more movies in the future?

A: I still want to produce “Divine Mercy” in the future. But right now, I’m working on a movie entitled “Chasing the Wind.” It’s the true story about a man who has to retrieve his stolen refrigerator patent. Again, it’s about making choices.

Q: What advice can you offer aspiring filmmakers, myself included?

A: Look for stories. Keep your eyes open. Become a scout so that you can work closely with the director. Get an idea visually, read a lot, and keep up with current events. Don’t be afraid to take risks, and have confidence … The important lesson that came out of the terrorist attacks is that we can’t be hostile to each other anymore. It really reawakened all of us. nyou