NROTC open house draws student interest

Despite more than two weeks of heightened security levels, Northwestern’s Naval Reserve Officers’ Training Corps held an open house on Friday afternoon, the first such recruiting event in recent memory.

About six to 12 prospective recruits joined more than 25 freshmen and upperclassmen NROTC students at the open house and picnic between 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the NROTC headquarters on 617 Haven St. across from the Technological Institute.

NU’s NROTC unit, along with all U.S. military installations, increased threat-preparedness after the Sept. 11 attacks in New York and Washington, and NROTC officials discussed canceling the event that was planned last spring.

“Northwestern has a great pool of candidates to serve their country,” said Lt. Brian Collie, an associate professor of naval science.

Collie said student interest in NROTC has waned since the number of scholarships was decreased after the Gulf War. He also said members of today’s generation don’t have as many relatives who served in the military.

NROTC Recruiting Officer Lt. Marc Carlson said the open house was planned as a way to inform students about NROTC and allow them to interact with classmates who already had joined.

“This is one way (students) can see we’re not just a military organization,” said Carlson, an assistant professor of naval science. “(NROTC students) are just like any other students on campus.”

Carlson said he didn’t expect a large turnout of prospective recruits for the event but that it was too early to tell if the events of Sept. 11 would affect recruiting efforts.

Student Recruiting Officer and Weinberg sophomore Autumn Swinford said interest in NROTC has increased. Last year no students signed up at NROTC’s booth during the activities fair, but this year four or five students signed up for information.

“There was a greater interest at the activities fair, but I don’t know if you can attribute it to the attacks,” Swinford said. “The effects maybe won’t be seen for a month or two. Time will tell.”

Swinford credited better publicity for increased student interest in NROTC. The open house was advertised through fliers, word of mouth and in a student activities packet that all freshmen received.

NU’s NROTC was established 75 years ago as one of the nation’s first six NROTC installations. Current NROTC students receive full-tuition scholarships plus $500 for textbooks and a stipend between $250 and $350 a month based on their number of years in the program. NROTC graduates become second lieutenants in the Marines or ensigns in the Navy where they serve a four-year commission.

Most students join NROTC before they come to NU, so the effects of the Sept. 11 attacks may not be seen until next year. This year, 16 freshmen joined NROTC before they arrived, compared to last year’s 18. There currently are 48 students enrolled in NROTC. The small number of people who came to the open house could affect the organization a lot. If three of the students join, then the freshman recruiting class will increase by 20 percent.

Speech sophomore Anisa Czerniejewski signed an NROTC contract through an external recruiter but came to the open house to reaffirm her commitment to military service. Her parents discouraged her from joining NROTC after the Sept. 11 attacks.

“My passion and love for the military has not decreased,” Czerniejewski said. “But my determination to join the military is not as great.”