NU speech team gears up for national tournament

The high-spirited members of Northwestern’s speech team are eager to prove their skills to the nation’s 200 best college speech teams this weekend.

“I feel pumped,” said Jason Warren, a Speech sophomore. “And to the other teams: Bring it! ‘Cause you ain’t got nothin’ on this game!”

Today eight members of NU’s team will begin the five-day National Forensics Association tournament at Western Kentucky University in Bowling Green, Ky., which is one of two major national tournaments each year. They will deliver speeches in categories including criticism, persuasive and impromptu, and some members will debate.

One of the team’s assistant coaches, Nathan Mather, Weinberg ’00, was the impromptu speaking national champion last year. Competitors in that event are given 90 seconds to prepare a five-minute speech on a given quote. Greg Lipper, Weinberg ’00, also obtained a national championship title last year, in extemporaneous speaking.

“We’re out there raising eyebrows,” said head coach Ric Roe, who won a national championship while in college. “We’re smart, articulate, and representing NU in a unique manner. I couldn’t be more proud to be a part of this program.”

National competitors are drawn from the top 10 percent of speakers at public-speaking tournaments, which are held almost weekly during the academic year.

The Midwest is one of the most competitive regions in college speech. Bradley University in Peoria has one of the most powerful programs, Roe said. The Bradley team has won the most awards in two national tournaments for the past several years.

Roe said NU aims to build a speech team program as strong as those at Bradley and Illinois State University.

“It is my hope that the (NU) campus becomes more aware of the team over the next few years and learns of its value and success,” Roe said.

NU’s speech team was founded five years ago, but it didn’t really get going until Roe became head coach three years ago.

“I’m finding more and more that many NU students did forensics in high school but don’t realize that they can continue that career here,” Roe said.

While training, speech team members not only get help from Roe and the assistant coaches, but also rely on each other.

“Ric is by far the greatest help. But once in a while we also have team practice, either to critique each other or just sit and talk about (extemporaneous) topics,” said Chris Tondini, a Speech sophomore. “My goal is always to go beyond and above what I have done this past year. No matter what the formal outcome is, I will feel like I have accomplished if I do my best when I’m up against 700 other contestants.”

Aaron Winters, a Weinberg sophomore, said he is confident that he will succeed in his style of debate.

“I’m the best Lincoln-Douglas debater I know, so I fully intend to do well,” he said.

But Austin Harvey, a Speech freshman, was less sure of his chances.

“I’m a freshman, so I’m mostly going to have fun and see some good stuff,” he said.