Starting on the good foot

Northwestern’s men and women’s soccer teams are experiencing rebirths of a sort. And so far, the transition is moving according to schedule.

Both teams are welcoming new head coaches – Tim Lenahan for the men and Jenny Haigh for the women. Both are ready and eager to rebuild after the Wildcats’ lackluster seasons in 2000.

At first glance, however, the two coaches could not appear more different.

Lenahan, a dark-haired veteran, joins the Cats in his 12th season as a head coach after spending three seasons with Lafayette College. Experienced and confident, rebuilding teams is his specialty.

Haigh, a youthful blond, said she is excited to take on the Big Ten for the first time since playing for Wisconsin from 1991-1995. In her first year as a head coach, Haigh shines with optimism and excitement.

Although coming from different backgrounds, both are ready to take the Cats to higher levels. They cite the importance of a new start, reworking their teams and pushing them hard.

“My first focus is to get character players involved who really believe in the team-first concept,” Lenahan said. “I’ve always been a defensive coach. My players have to be hard-working, unselfish and care about the team.”

Just two weeks after arriving in Evanston, Lenahan is already producing results. The Cats haven’t given up a single goal in their 3-0-1 spring season, tallying more wins than their entire 0-17-1 fall season. Lenahan’s defensive focus is paying off.

“Our wins this spring are an example of how his system is working,” co-captain Dan Doman said. “Everyone’s buying in and it’ll pay off in the long run.”

Lenahan’s credentials sparkle with past successes and rebuilt teams. At Lafayette, he catapulted the struggling 1997 Leopards (4-17) into the NCAA tournament in 1999 (16-5). He was voted Patriot League Coach of the Year, Mid-Atlantic Coach of the Year and was a finalist for the National Coach of the Year.

“I know it’s going to take some time to adjust to my style,” said Lenahan, who replaced Michael Kunert, head coach for the past 19 years at NU, “but the team seems to be responding. Something’s hitting home and they’re being rewarded with success.”

Across the fence on the playing field and down the hall when in the office, Haigh said she looks forward to the parallel beginnings of both programs.

“It’s good to have another set of soccer minds right next door to bounce ideas off of,” she said. “Both Tim and I are confident we can define how we want things to go with our programs.”

Although it’s her first year as a head coach, Haigh tasted success as a top assistant at both Missouri and Arizona State. At Arizona State, she helped the team shoot from 4-11 in 1997 – its inaugural season – to a top 25 ranking in 1999.

Sound familiar? Her accolades seem to parallel those of Lenahan.

“Jen is encouraging us to take risks,” junior Enyo Dzata said, “to not be afraid to make mistakes. She does push strategy, but focuses more on what we’re doing in games and where to move next.”

Haigh was hired to replace Marcia McDermott, who left to coach in the new Women’s United Soccer Association. McDermott started NU’s program in 1994 and led the team to the NCAA Sweet 16 in 1998, but struggled in 2000 with a 3-12-2 record.

Haigh is looking optimistically toward turning things around and starting anew next year.

“I have no doubt we’ll be right on track for competition next year,” she said. “We’re adding a bit onto every practice and pushing them hard. They’re responding to everything we throw at them.”

Said Lenahan: “It’s an exciting time. New coaches definitely bring energy and enthusiasm. Certainly the programs will feed off each other.”

Both coaches are taking advantage of pushing their players in the off-season.

And as the players prepare for their new coaches’ debuts next fall, NU soccer approaches a new era.

“Our practices are 10 times more intense this year,” Doman said. “They’re more productive and we get more accomplished. It’s like there’s a new sheriff in town and all the rules have changed.”