Beyond the finish line

Eva Kramski and Jamie Aarons, co-chairwomen of Northwestern’s Special Olympics committee, have learned that people with disabilities often are underestimated.

The summer after her sophomore year, while coaching swimming at a day camp, Aarons was assigned to teach a girl described as “non-verbal.”

“I was just supposed to baby-sit and entertain,” said Aarons, now an Education junior. “The second day of camp, we were going out to play, and she started singing, ‘Take Me Out to the Ball Game.’ Then she wouldn’t stop talking to me.

“These kids don’t necessarily have the same emotional or intellectual capacity to know who to talk to or who wants to listen to them. The girl I was assigned to only talked to me. Whenever someone else approached us, she would turn quiet and pretend that she couldn’t talk.”

Early in their NU careers, Kramski and Aarons found a project to put their hearts into: NU’s Special Olympics, the country’s oldest and largest branch of the international Special Olympics project aimed at helping people with disabilities develop a positive self-image.

Although most of NU’s Special Olympics events occur in April, activities begin early in the year when athletes walk in the Homecoming Parade. The climax is the state-qualifying meet at Glenbrook North High School, on May 6 this year.

“We put so much effort into it,” said Kramski, an Education senior. “It’s great when events finally happen.”

Kramski spent last Spring Quarter coaching Alex, a 13-year-old girl in special education, in the 50-meter dash. When the day of the race arrived, Kramski stood on the side of the track and cheered for Alex, who was running with seven other athletes.

“I’ll never forget the smile on her face when she finished first,” Kramski said. “To see her happiness was just the best. All the hard work and lack of sleep was certainly worth it.”

During her freshman year, Kramski saw a flier recruiting coaches.

“I had never worked with a disabled person,” Kramski said. “I thought I’d give it a try, and it was amazing. I had participated in other organizations, but this was the most rewarding. It felt good to give back to other people. I was totally hooked.”

Aarons and Kramski spent much of last summer at the Special Olympics office in Norris University Center planning events for this year’s “All Fired Up” theme.

This year’s track and field meet, which caters to people with varying degrees of ability, will bring together almost 500 athletes and more than 500 NU and community volunteers.

“There are wheelchair races, shot-put competitions, and a tennis ball throw for people who can’t run. Even if it’s not in track and field, there’s something for all the athletes to do,” Kramski said.

Kramski and Aarons currently are interviewing students to fill their committee positions. Both said they plan to stay involved with Special Olympics.

“Working for this organization is so rewarding that our involvement is rooted for life,” Kramski said. “The athletes bring no bias to the competitions. You don’t see that a lot in society.”

Kramski, who is graduating in June, was recently hired as a math teacher at Hinsdale High School.

“I am uncertain of their Special Olympics programs, but wherever I may be, I know that I’ll be involved,” Kramski said.