Class council organizes first Freshman Formal

The Class of 2004 will get a chance to strut its stuff on Hollywood’s red carpet at Northwestern’s first ever Freshman Formal.

The formal, which will be held April 27 at the Winter Garden in the Harold Washington Public Library in Chicago, is an attempt by the Freshman Class Council to build tradition, President Brant Ullery said.

“We feel we don’t have any (traditions) at all,” he said. “We want one solid tradition. We’re implementing one per year.”

The theme of the formal is Hollywood, giving students the opportunity to dress like the stars.

Jay Sims, a formal DJ for Dance Marathon, is expected to play music at the formal, according to council member Prashanthi Rao.

Council members said they planned the formal to help create unity within the freshman class, Rao said.

“It’s a way for the freshman class to be unified for the next four years,” said Rao, a Weinberg freshman. “Also, (the goal) is to get some excitement that we’re here.”

“Not all freshmen have formals,” said Ullery, a Weinberg freshman. “It would be a great opportunity to bring South and North Campus together.”

Weinberg freshman Roshni Parikh, who oversees advertising for the council, estimated that about 400 students will attend the dance. Tickets go on sale Thursday at Norris University Center for $30.

The council wanted to start a tradition in part because the other three councils plan yearly functions.

The Sophomore Class Council held a symposium last quarter for writer Alex Kotlowitz, and the Senior Class Council is in charge of planning Senior Week each spring.

In the fall, the Freshman Class Council provided bagels in the student lounge of the library during Finals Week, Parikh said.

One problem with class councils is that they are too “undefined,” Ullery said.

“We’re trying to restructure,” he said. “We want to define their roles and their commitment.”

The councils want to implement a standard application procedure for officers, in addition to holding elections, according to Ullery. They also intend to create separate committees within the councils.

Although the Freshman Class Council meets once or twice a week, Parikh said there is not much commitment from the 10 to 15 regular members.

“We have members, but they don’t always come,” Parikh said. “We want new input and new ideas from people.”

Furthermore, the majority of students are unaware of the council’s role on campus.

“People don’t know about it,” Parikh said. “They ask me, ‘What is council?'”

According to Parikh, their next project is to spread information about the council in an attempt to gain new membership.

The Freshman Class Council also has been working with the other councils to get familiar with the system and work on future intercouncil events, Ullery said.

“All four class councils may be planning the formal for next year,” Ullery said.

Despite the lack of exposure for the councils, Ullery said he is confident of the formal’s success and the council’s future.

“We’re definitely creating a buzz,” he said.