UP’s expanded jurisdiction boosts

Expanded jurisdiction in Evanston kept University Police busy in 2000.

Student arrest rates jumped by a factor of six and campus crime increased 13 percent between 1999 and 2000, likely because of University Police’s expanded jurisdiction, UP said.

Since Evanston City Council passed a mutual aid agreement in January 2000 reinstating UP’s “full police powers on city streets,” the number of reported crimes jumped from 691 in 1999 to 781 in 2000, according to UP’s annual crime report for 2000, which was released this week. 1999 had an across-the-board dip in crime, according to the report.

In 1999 only four students were arrested, while in 2000 there were 24.

UP liquor arrests almost tripled, and drug arrests quadrupled, while non-forced burglary on campus decreased by more than two-thirds, according to the report.

UP Asst. Chief Daniel McAleer attributed the increase in crime and student arrests to the mutual aid agreement, which allows UP to ticket improperly parked cars on city streets, make off-campus arrests and break up loud parties on streets near campus. The rise in arrests – especially liquor and drug arrests – is the result of increased UP traffic stops in the city, McAleer said.

“Once we got expanded jurisdiction back, we did a lot of DUI and open-alcohol enforcement,” McAleer said.

In 1999, UP made 15 liquor arrests and five drug arrests, according to the report. In 2000 it made 44 liquor arrests and 21 drug arrests.

The number of “outside” arrests jumped from 53 in 1999 to 177 in 2000, according to the report. Outside arrests include open alcohol and DUIs, McAleer said.

The number of non-forced burglary incidents decreased by 67 percent, from 52 in 1999 to 17 in 2000, according to the report. The number of burglaries in dormitories decreased to 5 from 30.

Sgt. Dave Perkins attributed the decrease in dorm burglaries to UP’s active patrol of dorms.

“A lot of the guys we used to arrest (in the dorms) time and time again are not coming back,” Perkins said. “Maybe they’re sick and tired of getting caught by us.”

It could also be because security monitors are more aware of the people entering their dorms, he said.

“Students are not letting people in that they shouldn’t (let in),” Perkins said.

UP patrolled the Evanston Campus by foot for more than 7,000 hours in 2000, according to the report. In 1999 they spent about 5,800 hours on foot patrol. To Perkins’ surprise, UP also logged 1,500 more hours in car patrol in 2000 than it did in 1999.

“You would think (car patrol) hours would go down if foot patrol went up,” Perkins said.

But Perkins said the expanded jurisdiction may have played a role in increased foot and car patrol hours.

“Because of the off-campus jurisdiction, the numbers are a little skewed,” he said.