Board names Newton as next editor in chief of The Daily

Casey Newton was named the next editor in chief of The Daily by Students Publishing Co. Inc.’s Board of Directors on Monday.

The Medill junior said he will work to recruit and retain a greater number and wider variety of students to work for the newspaper during his term from Spring Quarter through Winter Quarter 2002.

“I want to reach out to all of the schools within Northwestern to attract top-notch reporters, photographers, designers and editors,” said Newton, The Daily’s campus editor. “The Daily should not just be a place for Medill students; it should be a place where all students can come and learn how to write.”

He said he also hopes to improve the depth and breadth of the paper’s coverage, enhance the paper’s online edition, and continue the “fine work” of his predecessors at The Daily.

Newton ran unopposed for the position.

“We are always hoping for more applicants, but The Daily has been having some staffing shortages, and that was one of the areas Casey said he wanted to address as editor,” SPC board member Billy Liu said.

Current Editor in Chief Matt Palmquist said he understands why the SPC board would see Newton as qualified for the position.

“I think he will do a fantastic job because he’s very enthusiastic,” said Palmquist, a Medill senior. “He clearly has his priorities straight as far as what he wants to do with The Daily.”

The SPC board notified Newton of its selection by phone Monday evening.

“We think he is very enthusiastic, and he has a lot of good plans for The Daily, which seem very promising,” said Liu, a Medill senior.

As his first executive decision, Newton has named Medill junior Meghan Gordon as his managing editor.