Cats into the swing of things in early-season meets

Playing a dual match against a top-40 team was enough motivation for the Northwestern men’s tennis team as it upset Louisville on Sunday.

But coach Paul Torricelli hopes his Wildcats aren’t satisfied.

“We were determined to show that this is not a building year,” Torricelli said. “The team played to its level, but there is definitely room for improvement.”

The No. 51 Wildcats (2-0) beat the No. 37 Cardinals 5-2. On Saturday, NU downed Northern Illinois 6-1.

Torricelli pointed to junior Jamie Sahara’s match at No. 3 singles as the one that clinched the victory.

Sahara was playing with a strained stomach muscle, but defeated Cody Conley 7-6 (7-4), 6-4.

Sophomore Jackie Jenkins was also a factor, topping Tvrtko Kujundzic 6-1, 6-1 in his second-straight match at No. 1 singles.

After winning the Big Ten singles consolation bracket Jan. 15, Jenkins was plugged into the No. 1 singles spot against Northern Illinois and Louisville.

“Playing at No. 1 is different than at any other position,” Torricelli said. “The highest he played last year was No. 3 or No. 4, but he deserves more opportunity (at No. 1) based on Sunday’s performance.”

Jenkins was surprised to get the promotion, a position formerly held by senior Brad Erickson, who filled the No. 2 slot.

“It was based on how I played at the Big Ten tournament, when my game really came together,” Jenkins said. “Brad had been No. 1 the majority of the time, and it took the pressure off him.”

Jenkins’ only defeat at the Big Ten singles tournament was in the second round, to Jason Marshall of Purdue, the eventual tournament champion.

“I don’t think anyone could have beaten him,” Jenkins said. “But every match I played I got stronger and stronger.”

The team travels to Orlando, Fla., this weekend for the Adidas Classic.

LOOKING OUT FOR NO. 1: After losing last year’s No. 1 singles player, Katherine Nasser, to graduation, NU women’s tennis coach Claire Pollard was faced with the task of finding a successor.

Her solution: using two players.

Thus far, Pollard has rotated between senior Colleen Cheng and junior Lia Jackson at No. 1 and No. 2 singles.

“It is a new year and a new team,” Pollard said. “The upperclassmen are looking forward to a chance to play at the No. 1 position, and the upcoming tournament will tell more about where their games are.”

No. 16 NU (3-0) will meet players from Duke, Florida, Notre Dame and Tennessee as they join the men in Orlando.

Pollard said she would use the Adidas Classic, an individual event, as a chance to find “the best players on the team.”

And for the younger players – who have been forced to play a larger role this year – the tournament will be another event under their belts.

Freshman Jessica Rush has played her first three matches this season at No. 6 singles, defeating each of her opponents.

NU beat Utah 7-0 on Sunday, dropping only one set to the Utes in singles play. The sweep wasn’t much of a surprise – Pollard said the Cats saw the match as one “they could win fairly easily.”

Pollard cited sophomore Marine Piriou as the most impressive player in the match. Piriou defeated Utah’s Brooke Wilkinson 6-0, 6-1.

“She was off the court in 45 minutes,” Pollard said.