ASG pushes students to vote in April’s municipal elections

Signing up to vote for the upcoming municipal election may be as easy as going to dinner.

Within the next couple of weeks, Associated Student Government plans to stake out spots in dining halls of dorms and Greek houses to register students housed in the First and Seventh Wards, ASG president Adam Humann said.

“Basically, I feel that the student vote can swing an election,” Humann said.

That is, if enough students register and actually go to the polls April 3.

Although the registration drive will concentrate on the two wards containing on-campus housing, the drive will also take place at Norris University Center, Humann said.

In a similar drive last quarter, more than 1,000 students registered for the November elections, Humann said.

Humann stressed student participation in the upcoming election.

“Northwestern is your community,” he said.

To vote in municipal elections, students must register in Evanston, City Clerk Mary Morris said. In addition to the on-campus registration drives, students may also visit the city clerk’s office at the Civic Center, 2100 Ridge Ave. Two forms of ID are required to register, including one stating a local address such as a phone bill, utility bill or bank statement.

The deadline for registration is March 6.

Voters out of town for the election can apply for a mail-in absentee ballot starting Feb. 22 at the city clerk’s office, Morris said.

In-person absentee voting will begin March 12 and continue through the three weeks prior to the election. The clerk’s office will offer special Saturday hours March 17, 24 and 31 from 9 a.m to 12 p.m. in addition to its regular weekday hours.

Students’ wards and precincts will be printed on their registration cards, Morris said. The city’s Web site will post a listing of polling locations about three weeks before the election.