Family Weekend: free food, football fun and big crowds

Weinberg freshman Jen Martin had a few things to do Friday to prepare for her first Family Weekend at Northwestern.

“I cleaned my room, cleared all the alcohol out of my fridge and didn’t go out and party so I wouldn’t have a hangover Saturday morning,” Martin said.

It was worth the trouble. Martin said she had a great time going to the NU-University of Michigan football game Saturday and getting free food from her parents.

“It’s all about getting food and money on the same day, ” she said. “And seeing us win a football game was great, too.”

The Martins were among many families at Ryan Field, contributing to the first sellout there since Oct. 24, 1998.

Weinberg freshman Lee Stefanos said he had to leave the game early because his family had dinner reservations at Pete Miller’s Steakhouse, but his dad made up for it afterwards.

“He put on a purple wig and drove down Chicago Avenue honking at all the Michigan fans and yelling, ‘It’s a long walk back to Michigan,'” Stefanos said.

After the game Saturday night, huge crowds gathered at many of Evanston’s popular restaurants. Patrons had to wait an hour and a half to get a table at Tapas Barcelona, and the line was so long at Dave’s Italian Kitchen that some people were napping on the stairs inside.

Dave Glatt, who has owned and managed the restaurant for 28 years, said a hectic Family Weekend is typical.

“The thing to do is to take the child out for dinner Saturday night, and that’s what we’re here for,” he said.

And Sunday morning brunch drew parents and children to hot spots such as Clarke’s and Le Peep Restaurant. About 40 people were waiting outside Le Peep at 11 a.m., including Louise Headly, mother of two NU students.

Headly said that after hearing her daughter gripe about dorm food for three years, she knew Weinberg senior Melissa and Weinberg freshman Mike would appreciate dining out.

“We knew it would be a treat to take them out for dinner and lunch and whatever else is available,” Louise Headly said.

Some parents had a difficult time finding a hotel room in Evanston and ended up staying in other suburbs, including Northbrook. But local hotels expected the crowds.

Thea Sweet, a supervisor at the Holiday Inn/Evanston, said the hotel tried to make the weekend better for parents by offering discounts for anyone affiliated with NU.

“There are a lot of very excited people because they get to see their families,” she said. “It’s a very special weekend.”