Walk spotlights survivors

As a child, Veronica watched her father abuse her mother.

As an adult, she and her husband were trapped in the same cycle of domestic abuse.

But two years ago, Veronica started coming to a support group for domestic violence survivors at the Evanston Shelter for Battered Women and Children, which is sponsored by the Evanston/North Shore YWCA.

And on Wednesday night, she shared her story with those who participated in the YWCA’s first-ever Walk against Violence candlelight vigil ceremony.

“Over time I have begun to heal,” she said. “My husband’s abuse continued, but I changed.”

The walk, which drew about 100 participants, was part of the YWCA’s Week Without Violence Campaign, which runs Oct. 16 to Oct. 22. Wednesday’s theme was confronting violence against women and coincides with National Domestic Violence Awareness Month.

YWCA Executive Director Christie Dailey said the walk and vigil were designed to recognize domestic violence survivors, many of whom were in the audience.

“We are here to celebrate,” she said. “We are here to celebrate the strength of survivors … These are women who literally recreated their lives.”

According to national statistics, one woman is beaten every nine seconds, Dailey said.

“That means in the three minutes I’ve been talking, twenty women have been beaten to the point of injury,” she said.

One domestic violence survivor attended the walk with her young daughter. She left her abusive boyfriend in May and moved into the shelter for two months. Today she, like Veronica, is a member of the transitional housing program.

The shelter also provides a 24-hour crisis line and legal advocates at the Skokie Courthouse.

The legal advocates help women with divorce proceedings, child custody hearings and filing restraining orders. Dailey said the most dangerous time for a woman is when she is leaving a relationship, which makes legal advocates critical.

The march drew young participants in addition to adults, including students from Chute Middle School and Willard Elementary School.

Some members of a local swim team also attended the walk.

“We wanted to march to stop violence,” said Alison Proctor, a member of the team.

The YWCA staff said they were pleased with the turnout for their first walk. Veronica also expressed her appreciation for the supporters.

“Your being here tonight helps,” she said.

The YWCA’s Week Against Violence Campaign activities will continue through the weekend with a speech Friday about the elimination of racism and an invitational swim meet Saturday. The meet will encourage children to replace violence with sports and recreation and half the registration fees will be donated to an anti-violence program.