Senators to focus on students’ concerns with weekend dining

ASG senators tonight plan to weigh in on administrators’ decision not to re-open Allison Hall’s dining facility on the weekends.

Senators will discuss a bill calling on administrators to look at alternatives, such as rotating the weekend days between Allison and 1835 Hinman.

Senators will not vote on the bill until next Wednesday unless they vote to make it emergency legislation, allowing them to vote immediately. Bills typically are presented one week and voted on the next.

After food service officials over the summer decided to replace Allison with 1835 Hinman as the weekend dining facility, Allison President Gillian Schauer decided to turn to the Associated Student Government for help.

Schauer, also the Northwestern Community Development Corps senator, said she wrote the bill to address the complaints of students who came to campus this year planning to eat in Allison on weekends.

ASG Student Services Vice President Laura Ellis, whose committee endorsed the bill, said senators should be concerned that administrators did not alert students to this decision before they selected their dorms last spring.

“This legislation has a purpose,” said Ellis, a Weinberg junior. “It’s to document that this happened. It’s not good enough to go in there and get a promise that this is not going to happen again.”

The bill cites a lack of input from the Residential Dining Food Service Committee, which ASG President Adam Humann and Ellis served on last spring.

Also at tonight’s ASG meeting, University President Henry Bienen is scheduled to speak about the upcoming year and to answer senators’ questions.

Senators will elect two past or present senators and one non-senator to the Student Activities Finance Board, which recommends to senators the amount of money student groups should receive. They also will elect eight past or present senators and two non-senators to the Executive Committee, which recognizes the student groups able to receive ASG funding.