Officials hear alternatives to closing Allison

Administrators and student leaders Tuesday began addressing students’ complaints about the Allison Hall’s cafeteria’s closing on weekends.

Over the summer, administrators and Sodexho Marriott Food Services officials decided to keep the 1835 Hinman dining hall open instead of the Allison one. The Foster-Walker Complex dining hall also will remain open on weekends to serve South Campus students.

Paul Komelasky, district manager for Sodexho Marriott, said the change makes weekend dining more convenient for students living east of The Arch.

Many South Campus and Allison residents, however, disagree.

And that’s why administrators and the presidents of Allison, the Residence Hall Association and the Associated Student Government met Tuesday afternoon.

The administrators included Dana Levit, assistant director of Dorms and Commons Services, and Shane Carlin, a Residential Life area coordinator.

At the meeting, Allison President Gillian Schauer proposed opening one of the dining halls on Saturday and one on Sunday to be fair to residents on both sides of South Campus.

“I just want to do what’s in the best interest of the most students,” said Schauer, a Weinberg sophomore. “The one-and-one decision would make the most people happy.”

Schauer plans to present this idea at tonight’s ASG meeting. And Jada Black, RHA president, plans to discuss the issue with dorm presidents at tonight’s RHA meeting.

“I can see why people are upset, but I really do believe that a compromise can be reached,” said Black, a Medill sophomore. “The university is never going to make everybody happy. I’m sure the ideal situation is for everybody to have gourmet meals delivered outside their doors.”

Black also said, that as a representative of all dorm residents, she does not want to advocate with any dorm presidents.

Black, Schauer and ASG President Adam Humann all plan to meet with Sodexho Marriott and Residential Life officials in upcoming weeks to hash out the best plan.

Last spring the Residential Dining Food Services Committee recommended opening another South Campus dining hall, in addition to Allison’s, on Sunday nights, Komelasky said.

But Humann, who served on the committee with Black and some administrators, said the committee never discussed replacing Allison with 1835 Hinman.

In response to the replacement, Allison President Schauer wrote a petition two weeks ago that is still circulating in Allison, Willard Residential College, Shepard Residential College, the Public Affairs Residential College and other parts of campus.

Although the Allison dining hall has 91 more seats than 1835 Hinman’s, some students have said that the location of Hinman is more important than its seating capacity.

“As it stands right now, no student on South Campus has to walk more than a block to eat in a dining hall,” Black said.

Although the dining hall shift has sparked complaints and petitions, Schauer said, “I don’t want this to become a battle of the dorms.”

For North Campus students, Elder Hall is open on the weekends until renovations to the Sargent Hall dining hall are completed in mid-October.