Dillo Day blood drive meets success despite flier flub

Student Blood Services’ final blood drive of the year met collection expectations without an influx of students looking to enhance their Dillo Day buzz, said SBS president Laura Sell.

SBS collected about 115 units of blood for local hospitals Wednesday and Thursday, Sell said, putting the total collected for the year at about 1,300 units. Each unit of blood is slightly less than a pint, and SBS fell just short of its 1,350-unit goal this year, she said.

“We got close,” said Sell, a Weinberg sophomore. “We’re pleased. It was an unbelievable goal and we were not necessarily expecting to meet it.”

SBS holds six blood drives per year — two per quarter — which usually net a combined total of about 1,150 to 1,200 units.

Rainy weather hurt advertising for last week’s drive, Sell said, which may have prevented SBS from reaching its ambitious goal.

“All of our chalking and posters were washed away,” she said. “(And) we usually send somebody out to The Rock.”

The posters that survived the weather sparked some controversy with their Dillo Day theme. Sell said the posters encouraging students to give blood so they could “get drunk faster” were never intended to be taken seriously and SBS was “trying to catch eyes” with them.

“It was meant purely to be a joke,” she said. “By no means does SBS condone that sort of behavior.”

Sell said she didn’t hear that Dillo Day affected any student’s decision to give blood.

“I didn’t have anybody e-mail me saying they wanted to give blood but couldn’t because they were going to be inebriated on Dillo Day,” she said.

“(The attempt at humor) was probably more trouble than it was worth. We try to be light-hearted but we probably won’t use alcohol as the vehicle again.”

SBS is eager to start up again next fall, and Sell credited her volunteers for making this year such a success.

“Some volunteers are queasy about (giving blood) but want to give back something so they volunteer their time,” she said. “Blood drives wouldn’t be possible without volunteers.”