Students feel caged by equipment shortage

On the same day that Speech faculty were set to pass a contested new curriculum plan, Radio/Television/Film students met Wednesday night to discuss an issue sometimes lost in the course reshuffling — a lack of production equipment.

About 30 students gathered in Louis Hall to draft a petition asking the department to provide more filmmaking equipment for class projects and for student groups like Studio 22.

“Students wish to express our concern about the lack of much needed 16-millimeter-film cameras, camera accessories, high-end lighting and grip equipment,” the petition reads. “Therefore, we request that funds devoted to film equipment be increased and addressed as soon as possible.”

The equipment warehouse, called the “cage,” houses three 16-millimeter-film cameras, but only one complete package with a camera and critical accessories.

Some students have to reserve equipment weeks in advance and the shortage of film gear increases tension among students, said Prof. Dana Hodgdon.

“There’s more filmmaking going on in the program every year,” Hodgdon said. “And there’s just not enough cameras or access. People are getting into fights and conflicts about equipment.”

Allison Kellman, who helped organize the meeting, said the equipment is checked out every weekend.

“If there are three groups going out to shoot, only one of them gets the equipment,” said Kellman, a Speech freshman. “The others have to rent. We started finding out that students are spending hundreds of dollars of their own money on equipment. We are paying $30,000 a year to go to this university — they absolutely should be providing us with film equipment.”

While the R/TV/F faculty have agreed on a five-year plan to buy and upgrade new equipment, much of the spending will be used to acquire low-end digital equipment that will support changes in the curriculum to integrate newer technologies.

Low-end equipment is often used for shorter, more informal projects, while high-end equipment is used for longer, better quality films.

Students who came to the meeting agreed that digital was an important aspect of the new curriculum, but said that 16-millimeter film was still the preferred option for student filmmaking.

“Where (digital’s) better, do it. But high-end digital equipment is still too expensive. Film is just better quality,” said Dave Riemenschneider, a Speech sophomore.

After almost an hour of often heated debate over the wording of the proposal, students agreed to draft a petition that would avoid the touchy question of digital and focus on getting more 16-millimeter film equipment.

Organizers said they plan to circulate the petition today and Friday in R/TV/F classes and collect signatures outside Louis Hall. Kellman said they hope to have 200 R/TV/F students sign on before submitting the petition to R/TV/F Chairwoman Mimi White on Monday.

The next step is to call a faculty forum to allow students a chance to air their concerns and ask questions, said Speech freshman Abby France.

“This basic need is so apparent that it’s something everyone can unify about,” France said.