Unofficial transcripts now available on CAESAR

Tuesday morning greeted Northwestern students with an e-mail from the Office of the Registar announcing that students could get unofficial transcripts through CAESAR. By 9:20 a.m., as many students had requested transcripts as the system could handle at one time.

“We didn’t think it would fill up that quickly,” Registrar Suzanne Anderson said.

To accommodate the unanticipated demand for transcripts, the registrar expanded the number of students allowed on the system. By 4:30 p.m., students had requested 1,300 transcripts.

Making unofficial transcripts available through CAESAR has been a part of the registrar’s plan since the online registration system was established last year, Anderson said.

“It was only a matter of when everything would get done,” she said.

Students previously had to print out each quarter’s grades separately. Sameer Gafoor, recently elected Associated Student Government academic vice president, made the availability of unofficial transcripts part of his campaign platform.

The Academic Committee acted as an intermediary between students and the registrar to voice student concerns and communicate the registrar’s efforts.

Gafoor found out the hard way the problem of the previous system when he needed his grades for his summer job search.

“If I have to print out a different page for each quarter, that won’t be effective,” he said. “Plus it wastes paper.”