Recording company to usher in new age of musicians

Northwestern musicians will have the chance to audition for an appearance on a professional CD when representatives from Windham Hill Records come to campus Tuesday to look for talent.

Auditions will be held from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Music Administration Building.

The New Age music recording company, based in Beverly Hills, Calif., is conducting a nationwide search for talented college musicians to star on a CD that will showcase college talent, said Kurt Nishimura, senior director of publicity.

“It’s New Age music, which is primarily instrumental,” Nishimura said. “But we’re looking for people who are also vocalists.”

Nishimura said he will look for talented students who play the piano, guitar, flute, harp and other instruments.

“Above all, we’re looking for music that speaks to the heart,” said Windham Hill officials in a press release.

Windham has also visited the Berklee College of Music in Boston, the University of Cincinnati and the University of Southern California. They will also audition applicants from the Juilliard School of Music, Nishimura said.

Will Ackerman, the founder of Windham Hill, will direct the auditions and decide which budding college musicians will be featured on the “Windham Hill: Sampler 2001” record.

The selected musicians will get a solo track on the CD, which will be released next year, Nishimura said.

“This will be a very high-profile release in conjunction with our 25th anniversary. Hopefully it will be released nationally and internationally,” he said.

But students who make the CD won’t necessarily join the likes of George Winston, Michael Hedges, Yanni and about 50 other artists on the Windham Hill label, Nishimura said.

“I don’t think everyone who gets on the record will be offered a recording contract,” he said. “But there’s always that chance.”

Interested students should contact the dean’s office of the School of Music at 491-7752.