Exec. VP candidates vow better relations with groups

Jordan Heinz’s fliers say he’s the candidate for ketchup lovers. And his opponent, Anil Hurkadli, wants to capitalize on that.

“Vote Anil. He eats ketchup for breakfast,” read Hurkadli’s signs.

But there’s more at issue in the Associated Student Government executive vice presidential race than condiments. In the April 11 election, students will decide which candidate will best serve student groups. Both candidates are looking to improve relations between ASG and student groups, and both candidates have ASG experience.

Heinz is a two-year senator, first for the College of Commerce and Industry and now for Northwestern Community Development Corps.

Hurkadli was a South Mid-Quads senator last year but lost his seat after missing three meetings. Hurkadli remained on the Executive Committee for the rest of the year but did not return this year.

But the candidates disagree about the best way to improve ASG-group relations.

Heinz wants more dialogue between student groups and ASG, rather than simply derecognizing groups without their consent. If elected, he says, he and other ASG leaders would meet with all ASG-recognized student groups to explain the guidelines and try to avoid mass derecognitions.

Heinz wants groups to “redevelop” rather than be derecognized. According to his platform, the redevelopment period would be marked by close contact between ASG and group leaders.

“Derecognition should never happen unless it’s the mutual decision between the student group and ASG,” said Heinz, an Education sophomore.

Hurkadli wouldn’t change the annual student group review process, but he said he would work to improve communication between student groups and ASG. He also said he would use the perspective he’s gained while away from ASG.

“In the past year, the only thing I’ve been doing with ASG is writing letters to THE DAILY every time (ASG) does something stupid,” Hurkadli said.

He would restructure the entire Executive Committee by giving student group leaders control of electing representatives to the committee. Currently ASG members determine group representatives — too many of whom only work on the committee for their resumes, Hurkadli said.

Heinz wouldn’t go that far, but he would request that group executives give weekly reports of their student groups’ activities to the committee so he could better track their status.