Evanston doctor loses medical license after buying $1 million of imported cancer medicine

Robin Opsahl, City Editor

An Evanston doctor agreed to relinquish her medical license to settle charges by state officials after allegedly buying and dispensing $1 million worth of non-approved imported cancer drugs to her patients, The Associated Press reported.

Ann Kinnealey, an Evanston oncologist, formally gave up her license April 21 in an agreement with the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation and waived her right to a hearing, according to AP. Kinnealey worked in cancer treatment through Presence Saint Francis Hospital, 355 Ridge Ave., and Swedish Covenant Hospital in Chicago.

In the agreement, Kinnealey admitted she bought and dispensed misbranded cancer medicine from Quality Specialty Products, a Canadian pharmaceutical wholesaler. According to AP, Kinnealey agreed to pay approximately $129,000 in restitution to defer prosecution.

The state action followed a Food and Drug Administration criminal investigation of Kinnealey. In 2012, the FDA notified Kinnealey along with 18 other medical practices to stop using counterfeit products and non-FDA approved medicine obtained from foreign distributors, including Quality Special Products. In 2012, the company was associated with the sale of counterfeit Avastin, a chemotherapy cancer-treatment drug.

Kinnealey could not be reached for comment.

Twitter: @robinlopsahl