Putterman: Ranking Northwestern football’s recent losses to Michigan

Alex Putterman, Web Editor

With Northwestern football 5-0 on the season and ranked 13th in the country, Wildcats fans are optimistic for the team’s matchup against No. 18 Michigan on Saturday in Ann Arbor.

Well, the younger ones are, at least.

We more seasoned NU observers know the Cats will lose to the Wolverines through some improbable series of heartbreaking machinations we cannot possibly imagine ahead of time. This is an undeniable fact of the universe, proven beyond all doubt through the three games these teams have played since I arrived in Evanston.

My Class of 2016 brethren, you may want to avert your eyes, because I will now rank the trio of NU/Michigan games (all Cats losses) from least absurd/pathetic/heartbreaking to most.

3. Nov. 16, 2013 — Michigan 27, NU 19 (3OT) — The miracle field goal

This game was mind-numbingly dull, featuring a remarkable 14 punts between the two teams (one of NU’s traveled only 8 yards). And when the contest finally heated up, it was not in a way Cats fans could enjoy.

When Michigan completed a pass to the middle of the field with 10 seconds to play, no timeouts remaining and a 9-6 deficit, NU appeared to have this one won. Then Wolverines kicker Brendan Gibbons sprinted onto the field and drilled a 44-yard field goal — seemingly without even setting his feet — to send the game to overtime.

The teams traded scores for two overtimes before Michigan prevailed on a touchdown and interception in the third extra period.

This loss was the Cats’ sixth straight after a 4-0 start and essentially ended the team’s bowl hopes.

It’s difficult to find many defeats tougher to take. This list has two of them.

2. Nov. 8, 2014 — Michigan 10, NU 9 — The M00N game

As this one dragged on, some viewers took to wondering whether it was the worst football game they had ever seen. Looking back, I’m not so sure that was hyperbole.

The contest immediately became known as “the moon game” because as the teams remained scoreless into the third quarter, the ESPN television graphic displayed, from left to right, NU’s “N” logo, two zeros for the score, then Michigan’s “M” — “M00N.”

But it wasn’t just scorelessness that made this game so tough to watch. From my story that day:

“Michigan threw two interceptions, snapped the ball into a moving receiver, had a field goal blocked and took an unforced sack when quarterback Devin Gardner lost his footing. NU threw two interceptions, botched a snap on a punt, missed a field goal, dropped a punt and played a whole lot of ineffective offense.”

The Cats scored to bring themselves within 1 point with three seconds left but missed the potential go-ahead 2-point conversion when quarterback Trevor Siemian got his feet caught up and fell to the ground.

“I slipped,” Siemian explained afterward, “probably because I’m unathletic.”

1. Nov. 10, 2012 — Michigan 38, Northwestern 31 (OT) — The Hail Mary

Back when I was a naive freshman who didn’t realize no NU lead is ever safe, I watched in horror as the Wolverines topped the Cats thanks to an impossible fourth-quarter Hail Mary that set up a game-tying field goal.

This loss was particularly brutal for two reasons. First of all, the victory looked entirely secure. Michigan regained possession in its own territory, down 3 points with no timeouts and only 18 seconds left but somehow managed to complete a 53-yard pass, spike the ball and tie the game. Naturally, the Wolverines won in overtime. More than even the 2013 game, this was an in-the-bag win that was snatched from NU under remarkable circumstances.

The other reason the 2012 game was the worst of the Michigan losses were its implications in the standings. Unlike the 2013 and 2014 Cats, the 2012 iteration entered its game against the Wolverines with serious postseason ambitions, boasting a 7-2 record and a shot at a division crown.

Not only was this a heartbreaking loss, it also had significant long-term ramifications, as Michigan finished a game ahead of NU in the Big Ten East and received an invitation to a more prestigious bowl (the Outback Bowl).

Altogether, this was the worst loss the Cats have suffered to the Wolverines in my three years at NU. And that’s saying something.

Twitter: @AlexPutterman