Police Blotter: Jan. 28

Hal Jin, Reporter

Skokie resident attacked with tire iron

A Skokie resident was assaulted while driving near the 2400 block of Howard Street on Monday, police said. 

The 18-year-old resident was driving his vehicle around 4:50 p.m. when he noticed another vehicle following him very closely, Evanston police Cmdr. Joseph Dugan said.

The resident then pulled over to allow the other car to pass. Instead, the driver of the tailing vehicle pulled over as well. The resident left his car to approach the other vehicle and noticed the other driver was holding a tire iron.

The attacker struck the resident on the left side of the head, police said. The attacker then drove away.

The resident was brought to NorthShore Skokie Hospital, where he was treated for a cut on his head, Dugan said.

The attacker is approximately 5 feet 6 inches tall with a slim build and was driving a blue vehicle, Dugan said.

Car stolen near Northwestern 

A car was stolen four blocks from campus Sunday night, police said.

The car, a 2006 GMC Arcadia, was taken from the garage of a residence in the 2100 block of Ridge Avenue between 10 p.m. and 11 p.m., Dugan said.

It is not known whether the owner of the car is an NU student, Dugan said. 

A set of keys to the car was kept inside the vehicle at the time it was stolen, Dugan said.

This is the fifth car stolen this week. Other stolen cars include a 2010 Mercedes-Benz, a 2008 Chrysler, a 2006 Chevrolet and a 2013 Volkswagen. There is no known correlation between the thefts as of Tuesday, police said. 

Twitter: @apricityhal