Men’s Swimming: Northwestern tops Illinois-Chicago, Oakland

Tyler Kendall, Reporter

Swimming and Diving

Northwestern won its first home meet of the season Saturday, beating Illinois-Chicago and Oakland 179-112 and 155-134 respectively. The Wildcats won 9 out of 16 events, which included both the 1-meter and 3-meter diving board competitions.

Coach Jarod Schroeder noted key performances from several​ ​returners.​ ​Junior Jordan Wilimovsky won both the 500 and 1,000 freestyle, senior Uula Auren placed first in the​ ​100 breaststroke, and junior captain Van Donkersgoed won the 200 breaststroke.​ ​Schroder also mentioned freshmen Almog Olshtein and Alex Snarski who contributed to​ ​the Cats’​ ​200 medley relay win. Olshtein won both the 50 and 100 free competitions.

NU, led by sophomore Andrew Cramer, took first, second and third on both diving events.

“I was really proud of my 1-meter performance, a little more than my 3-meter performance,” Cramer said. “All my 1-meter dives were above what I was expecting, and I thought it was a good performance overall because I did a lot of the corrections my coach told me to. It was a great meet today, it was our first home meet, and I was really proud of it.”

The tri-meet took place simultaneously with the women’s competition,​ ​causing the event to​ ​last​ ​for more than​ ​​three hours.

“Now when you add the women and the extra heat of everything, there’s more time between events for the guys so they can have a little bit longer to recover,” Schroeder said. “The performances show they’re a little more fresh for their next event.”

NU has a bye next week before traveling to Louisville for another combined meet against Kentucky, Missouri and Southern Illinois. Schroeder said the next four weeks will be critical for preparing for important midseason meets, such as the TYR Invitational hosted at home starting Nov. 21.

“I think they were better this week but there’s still a lot of things that we have to work on,” Schroeder said. “The good thing is that we have two weeks until our next meet where we can still work on a lot of the details.​”​

“In terms of racing, I think we’re doing a better job of getting up and getting after our races, getting the first 50 out of 100 out faster. That was one of the issues in the opening meet, because I didn’t think we were very aggressive in taking our races out and today we were much better with that.”

Email: tylerkendall2018@u.northwestern.edu
Twitter: @tylerskendall