New restaurant coming to Central Street undergoes name change

Stephanie Kelly, Assistant City Editor

A restaurant set to open in Evanston in late October is changing its name to highlight the city’s history.

Owners of a restaurant that will feature smoked meats and wood-fired pizza changed the name of its establishment at 1700 Central St. from The Wood Shed to Ten Mile House after receiving approval from an Evanston committee earlier this month.

Robert LaPata, a managing partner of Ten Mile House, said the previous name was not the best description of the restaurant.

“We wanted something that could be connected to (Evanston) a lot more,” he said.

The name Ten Mile House is historically significant to Evanston, LaPata said. The first establishment built on Evanston property was called Ten-Mile House and served as a post office, courthouse and tavern. It was used as a gathering place for Evanston settlers and also most likely served as the location for their first Thanksgiving.

LaPata is one of three owners of Ten Mile House, along with Joe Krouse, current owner of Unite Urban Grill, and Frederic Gale, who owns restaurants on the East Coast.

The three were interested in building the restaurant because they all had ties to both the restaurant business and to Evanston, LaPata said.

LaPata said he and the other owners thought the name The Wood Shed gave off the impression that the restaurant only served barbecue food.

“We’re basically an upscale, casual American comfort food restaurant,” LaPata said.

Evanston’s site plan and appearance review committee voted to approve the name change at their Sept. 10 meeting.

LaPata, Krouse and Gale chose to build the restaurant on Central Street because they felt downtown Evanston was too congested, LaPata said. He said northeast Evanston, where Central Street is located, is comparatively underserved.

New developments, such as the Evanston Art Center, have plans to open in the area.

“We wanted to be a part of that development that’s there,” LaPata said.

Mark Muenzer, the city’s director of community development, said Ten Mile House will add to the area’s streetscape because there are not many restaurants like it east of Green Bay Road.

“It gives residents somewhere they can walk to or bike to easily that’s an independent sit-down restaurant,” Muenzer said.

Twitter@StephanieKellyM