Evanston Ecology Center hosts annual Easter egg hunt

Morgan Jackson/The Daily Northwestern

Children and families help “Betsy the Bearded Dragon” find her misplaced Easter eggs during the annual egg hunt at the Evanston Ecology Center on Saturday. Event volunteer Madeline Maxwell said the egg hunt is an event that community members “keep coming back to.” More than 100 participants showed up to search for Easter eggs in the first of four activity blocks.

Becca Sanchez, Reporter

More than 100 young children and their families gathered Saturday at the Evanston Ecology Center to participate in its annual Easter Egg Hunt.

Participants showed up for the first of four sessions in the egg hunt. Children, accompanied by their parents, could exchange the eggs they found for tickets and prizes.

Claire Alden, program manager for the ecology center and the organizer of this year’s egg hunt, led the first group of children and families into the arboretum, asking each participant to collect 20 eggs that her friend “Betsy the Bearded Dragon” had misplaced

Evanston resident Paul Meyers commented on the clear, sunny weather during the event. Meyers said he brought his son and the rest of his family to come “be part of the community.”

“It was to spend time together,” said Martin Terroba, another resident who brought his family.

Dana Riess, another Evanston resident, took her daughter to the event. As a frequent ecology center visitor, she said she likes to “come to some of the fun Ecology Center activities that get kids outside.”

The Evanston Ecology Center, 2024 McCormick Blvd., holds environmental programs as well as nature and ecology classes for parents and children.

The event also included an arts and crafts section and a farmers’ market. Alden said the multiple attractions allowed residents to spend time with their children and partake in other activities with family members.

Weinberg freshman and prize booth volunteer Madeline Maxwell said the annual egg hunt is an event that community members “keep coming back to.”

“It’s nice as a student to see community members come together,” said Weinberg freshman Grace Sunken, another Northwestern volunteer.

Twitter: @danbsanchez