Cross Country: Huth leads Wildcats into two-meet weekend

Despite solid performances from Northwestern’s young core so far this season, the youth movement is not in full effect just yet.

Led by senior Audrey Huth, the Wildcats have found success early in the season. With better contribution from less experienced runners, NU can build on a strong early season.

The Cats are now ranked fifth in the the USTFCCCA Midwest regional rankings and look to carry that momentum into both of their races this weekend. First, NU travels to South Bend, Ind. for the Notre Dame Invitational on Friday. The next day, they will run in the Sean Earl Loyola Lakefront Invitational in Chicago.

The Cats will face off against the nation’s elite talent, as four top 25 teams join NU in South Bend. Big Ten rivals Illinois and Ohio State are also among the strong pack of competitors.

“This weekend we are looking to compete, do our thing, and see how far we can take it,” Huth said. “One of our team goals is to break into the top ten.”

While Huth posted tremendous times to start off her senior campaign, she still feels she has not reached her absolute best running shape.

“It’s that point in the season still where it’s okay to feel a little rough,” Huth said. “I do believe I am training hard and am on my way to feeling at my best for when we get to our championship meets in the weeks to come.”

Coach April Likhite said Huth can handle the pressure of being NU’s top runner in every meet.

“She’s extremely driven and determined, pretty much to the point where she’s rarely satisfied,” Likhite said. “I believe that’s what makes Audrey such a tremendous competitor. She has tremendous goals for herself and I have no doubt she’s capable of achieving them.”