NU Graduate Workers reach three tentative agreements

Illustration by June Woo
NUGW advocates for an inclusive, democratic working environment, according to its mission statement webpage.

Northwestern University Graduate Workers reached three tentative agreements with the University at their tenth bargaining session Thursday.

The first agreement — a discipline and discharge article — establishes a right to union representation in investigatory interviews, a grace period before dismissal and protection from undue degree withholding. 

NUGW also secured a workload, which provides guardrails for regular work hours, mandatory meetings and required office hours.

The newly introduced labor management committee article establishes a joint committee between NUGW and NU’s administration, dedicated to discussing issues of concern. 

“This gives us an important recourse for resolving current and future issues that may arise, including our ongoing concern around the University’s unwillingness to provide us with an up-to-date and accurate list of members of the bargaining unit,” NUGW’s bargaining update reads.

NUGW also released new economic proposals at the bargaining table Thursday, bargaining committee member Elisabeth Latawiec said in a video uploaded to the NUGW Instagram page.

“It’s so exciting to have these economic proposals on the table, but we don’t want to forget about the issues we’re still fighting for,” bargaining committee member Esther Kamm said in the video. 

Including the agreements reached Thursday, the labor union has reached 19 of its 32 article negotiation agreements since bargaining began 139 days ago. Once all sections of the contract have reached a tentative agreement status, NUGW members will vote on whether to approve or reject the entire contract.

Kamm said the group is prepared to fight for several critical outstanding issues including strong non-discrimination language, the ability to file a grievance after or in addition to the University process and a union shop where universal membership ensures universal participation and protection.

NUGW advocates for an inclusive, democratic working environment, according to its mission statement.

NUGW’s next bargaining session will take place Nov. 1 and address two language proposals on union security and nondiscrimination. 

Twitter: @noracollins02