Football: Northwestern initiates investigation into alleged hazing incident following the 2022 season

Daily file photo by Joshua Sukoff

Northwestern gets settled on the line against Miami OH. The program announced Monday afternoon the launch of an investigation into an alleged hazing incident after the conclusion of the 2022 season

Skye Swann, Sports Editor

Northwestern announced that it has initiated an investigation into an alleged football hazing incident that followed the conclusion of  the 2022 season.

ESPN reporter Adam Rittenberg broke the news on Twitter, citing Northwestern’s hiring of an independent lawyer, Maggie Hickey, to look into the alleged conduct. The University’s statement indicated the investigation will include interviews with players, coaches and staff.

Hickey co-leads the ArentFox Schiff firm’s Complex Litigation Group and Government Enforcement & White Collar Group, which focuses on internal investigations. In 2019, she oversaw the implementation of the multi-year consent decree working toward reforms for the Chicago Police Department. 

The Wildcats ended their season late November, culminating the campaign with a 1-11 record under head coach Patrick Fitzgerald. Just weeks after the season finished, NU dropped defensive coordinator Jim O’Neil after two seasons. 

With recent speculation of David Braun being hired as the new defensive coordinator, the news of the alleged hazing incident shakes up the nature of the Cats’ program.

Twitter: @sswann301