The Daily’s Guide to celebrating the holidays on campus

Daily file illustration by Angeli Mittal

Celebrating the holidays on campus.

Emily Kim, Reporter

The holiday season is back. Here are some upcoming events around Northwestern’s campus, from performances to holiday treats and get-togethers.

South Area 

The South Area leadership team planned an event with cookies, ice cream and card games for 7 p.m. on Thursday, Dec. 1 in the Shepard Hall lobby. Students can enjoy sweet treats and sit in on a friendly card game.

Reformed University Fellowship 

On Saturday, the Reformed University Fellowship, a national campus ministry of the Presbyterian Church in America, is hosting its T House Ball event. The event will include drinks, desserts and dancing. 

McCormick sophomore Jung Min Yean recently decided to go to one of the RUF events. Yean said that her favorite part about being in RUF is the friendship, and she is looking forward to the T House Ball. 

“This is one of the ones of the year where people will dress up and go all out,” Yean said. “It’s a great social hangout. There’s a lot of people that will come up and talk to you and make sure you are having a really good time.” 

Cat shelter painting event 

All Paws In, an NU volunteer organization focused on connecting students with the animals at the Evanston Animal Shelter, will be painting walls in the new cat room from 11 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on Thursday, Dec. 1. 

The Evanston Animal Shelter is working on building a new facility in the coming year. Weinberg junior JoJo Holm, the president and founder of All Paws In, said she looks forward to helping the animal shelter have a completely finished space. 

“This new shelter is really lovely, but is new still. They still need a lot of cosmetic attention to the building. We need lots of painting,” Holm said. 

MAPS December Volunteer

The Minority Association of Pre-Med Students at NU will help out with the Evanston Art Center’s holiday arts and crafts events this month. Volunteers will wrap purchases, replace inventory and greet newcomers. There will be two hour shifts for students to join from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Dec. 4, 12 and 13. 

Bienen School of Music 

On Sunday, “A Festival of Lessons and Carols” will take place at the Alice Millar Chapel. The program will include carol music from medieval to modern for brass, strings, organ and choir. 

Weinberg junior Jenna Lee, who plays the violin in Philharmonia, is looking forward to the event.

“I think you can look forward to some really nice music, especially if you’re not super into classical music, there’s a wider variety and there’s fun carols that you’ll probably know,” Lee said.

Holiday Baroque

The Rembrandt Chamber Musicians will participate in their holiday tradition of performing baroque classics, including the works of George Frideric Handel, Giovanni Girolamo Kapsberger, Georg Philipp Telemann, Henry Purcell, Nicola Matteis and Johann Sebastian Bach. Students can join them for their annual treat at 9 a.m. on Sunday in the Alice Millar Chapel. 

Twitter: @heyyitsemoly