Sports, science and sun: Evanston releases youth summer camp offerings

Madison Smith/The Daily Northwestern

Robert Crown Community Center. The center will host some of the more than 100 camps Evanston is offering this summer.

Elena Hubert, Assistant City Editor

If you have yet to fall victim to the “Baby Shark” earworm, look no further than Evanston’s roster of youth summer camps. A “Baby Shark” camp in Bent Park, where campers discover music through emotions, is one of more than 100 children’s camps offered by the city this summer.

Read on to learn more about the city’s full roster of summer campus, focusing on a variety of activities -– with something for every age group to enjoy.

What camps are offered?

Camp categories offered by Evanston Parks and Recreation department include arts, sports, cooking, comedy and ecology. Others are focused on playing specific sports including basketball, fencing, figure skating, football, golf, gymnastics, hockey, tennis and ultimate frisbee. 

The city will also run variety camps, which allow children to combine different activities like arts and crafts or enjoy outdoor adventures. The Robert Crown Community Center will host open studio camps with themed arts and crafts like puppet making, sculpting and painting.

For those looking to become counselors, the city will offer training programs for some specialized programs: general and ice-rink-based camps at the Robert Crown Center, aquatic camps on Dempster Street Beach and an ecology-focused camp. 

All camps will support campers with medication, behavior management and physical assistance, according to the city’s website. Camp Spark, offered at Park School in conjunction with Evanston/Skokie School District 65’s Special Education Program, will serve as an additional space designed primarily for children with physical, developmental and healthcare needs. 

Camp REAL at Lovelace Park will also reserve 10 spaces for children with additional needs.

What health and safety guidelines will camps have?

Camps will adhere to current Illinois Department of Public Health and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines, according to Evanston’s website.

All camp participants and staff will be required to wear masks in situations designated as “appropriate” by the CDC, according to the website. The CDC’s current mask guidance, last updated March 21, recommends people wear a mask “when there is a lot of COVID in your community” and in crowded public places, as stated on their website.

Staff and campers will be “strongly encouraged” to social distance by at least six feet. Wellness screening will be conducted for all campers and staff when they arrive at camp, and all camp facilities and surfaces will undergo routine sanitization.

How do I register my child for camp?

Although camp registration day was Feb. 12 for residents and Feb. 21 for nonresidents, registration is still ongoing. Registration is available in-person at recreation centers, and registration support will be available by calling 311 from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.

There will also be a waitlist for filled camps.

Evanston offers fee assistance applications to qualifying Evanston residents based on family size and income at community centers, the Lorraine H. Morton Civic Center and through a form accessible on the city’s website.

Registration will close the Thursday before each camp session starts.