The Dolphin Show announces 79th Annual Show, “Merrily We Roll Along”

Photo courtesy of Rachel Schmaier

The Dolphin Show will return to Cahn Auditorium in January with The 79th Annual Dolphin Show, “Merrily We Roll Along.”

Laya Neelakandan, Arts & Entertainment Editor

On Friday, The Dolphin Show announced the selection for its 79th annual production: “Merrily We Roll Along.” The show will premiere in January 2022 and is produced by Communication seniors Simran Deokule and Owen Kiley and directed by Nora Geffen.

The producers said they are excited to work on the show because of the message it brings across.

“It is such a moving show that, at its core, reminds us to cherish the relationships we are forging as college students, and to hold onto this unique form of love and support for the rest of our lives,” they said in an email to The Daily.

“Merrily We Roll Along” will mark The Dolphin Show’s official return to the in-person stage in over a year, following its reorganization prompted by institutional issues. The disagreements resulted in multiple resignations and internal rearrangements to foster inclusivity.

The directors said the organization has focused on increasing accessibility and diversity and incorporating audience immersion into the show.

“‘Merrily’ is about the people we meet at 20 and their impact on who we become and how we move through the world as we ‘grow up,’” Geffen said. “This year, being able to bring Dolphin back into Cahn, we’re excited to put the focus in our process on fostering those connections and asking how we can show up for each other in ways that the characters in ‘Merrily’ often fail to do.”

The Stephen Sondheim musical will be performed from Jan. 21-23 and Jan. 28-29 in Cahn Auditorium at 600 Emerson St.

Twitter: @laya_neel