Field Hockey: Northwestern Field Hockey ready to dominate the 2021 season

Daily file photo by Kelsey Carroll

Senior forward Lakin Barry dribbles the ball up the field. The senior leader will be a key offensive contributor Friday.

Skye Swann, Senior Staffer

Field Hockey

After making an NCAA Elite Eight appearance, Northwestern field hockey is coming off a record-breaking 12-win season. Led by redshirt junior forward Bente Baekers, the team returns most of its players next year.

The Wildcats’ success in the season came from a dominant presence all over the field. Baekers’ signature reverse backhand shot secured the squad wins the entire season. Sophomore midfielder Maddie Zimmer earned Big Ten Freshman of the Year honors while senior defender Kayla Blas received First Team All-Big Ten recognition.

Despite falling short on claiming a Big Ten Title last season, the Cats’ success in conference matchups indicates a powerful future. The purple and white defeated Michigan and swept Iowa to make it to the semifinals in the Big Ten Tournament.

Many of NU’s major contributors are underclassmen, so the team has the potential to be a top contender for years to come. The Cats’ dominance last season places the squad in a position to make a Big Ten Championship and NCAA tournament run.

Twitter: @sswann301