Fencing: Northwestern looks to build on historic 2021 season

Daily file photo by Brian Meng

A Northwestern fencer prepares for a duel. The Wildcats earned a share of the Central Collegiate Fencing Conference title last season, a title they’ll hope to earn again this year.

Carlos Stinson-Maas, Reporter

Last season was a historic year for Northwestern fencing, with the team finishing third in the country at the NCAA Championships, the best finish ever for the Wildcats. Three fencers also earned All-American honors. 

This year, NU is poised to make another deep run. Five of the six fencers the Cats sent to the NCAA Championships last year are returning to the team. 

Nine freshman fencers will join this season, hoping to contribute immediately. Freshmen Asha Henry and Kailing Sathyanath medaled at the USA Fencing Summer National Championships in early July, along with sophomore saber Sky Miller. 

Miller had a stellar 2020 campaign, finishing second in the country in saber, the highest individual finish in program history. 

NU’s biggest obstacle to a women’s championship is Notre Dame — the Fighting Irish hold three of the last four co-ed titles and went undefeated as a team in 2021. The Cats came closer than any other team to beating Notre Dame last season but still have yet to beat the school this decade. 

However, with a new crop of talent and returning All-Americans, NU has a real chance to build on its third-place national finish.

Twitter: @thepresidito