District 65 intends state spring assessment administration despite pandemic

Daily file photo by Patrick Svitek

The Evanston/Skokie School District 65 Education Center, at 1500 McDaniel Avenue. The district will be administering the IAR, ISA and DLM this spring only for students who opted for in-person instruction.

Angeli Mittal, Assistant City Editor

Evanston/Skokie School District 65 will administer in-person spring state assessments in federal and state guidance, according to an April 15 statement.

Assessments for the current academic year will not be waived as they were last year because of the pandemic. The district was given the option to administer the assessments in either the spring or the fall. District 65 Superintendent Devon Horton said the tests will be given in the spring to prevent state testing twice once in the fall and again in the spring the following school year.

“We believe we are preserving instructional time for students and educators in the fall and protecting space to focus on relationships and routines upon return,” Horton said in the statement.

The district will only be assessing students who have opted for in-person instruction, as the exams must be administered in person. The Illinois Assessment of Readiness will be administered between May 17 to 28, Illinois Science Assessment between May 10 to 14 and the Dynamic Learning Maps between April 6 and May 28. 

The ACCESS assessment will be provided in the fall. School administrators will provide notification for the specific dates for testing within these windows.

Students currently enrolled in remote learning will have asynchronous learning opportunities while the test is administered. 

Twitter: @amittal27