Rep. Jan Schakowsky votes in favor of impeaching President Donald Trump for the second time

Daily file photo by Owen Stidman

U.S. Rep Jan Schakowsky (D-Evanston). Schakowsky voted to impeach Donald Trump in the House of Representatives on Wednesday, joining a 232-197 vote in favor of impeachment.

Maia Spoto, City Editor

Rep. Jan Schakowsky (D-Evanston) joined the House of Representatives in a 232-197 vote to impeach President Donald Trump for a historic second time Wednesday.   

The impeachment on charges of “inciting an insurrection” comes exactly a week after pro-Trump rioters breached the U.S. Capitol, leaving five dead. Shortly after the attack, Schakowsky, Gov. J.B. Pritzker and other state and local leaders called for Trump’s immediate impeachment and removal. 

On the House floor, Schakowsky said the breach last Wednesday targeted “the temple of our democracy.”

“He has been the orchestrator of this attack,” Schakowsky said on the floor. “It is time to hold this president accountable. It is time, and history demands, that we impeach President Trump.” 

Schakowsky tweeted Tuesday that she was an original cosponsor of the articles of impeachment, and said Trump’s actions were “treasonous” and “an act of domestic terrorism” in a statement last Wednesday.

Schakowsky also voted in favor of two articles of impeachment against Trump — abuse of power and obstruction of justice — in December 2019. In her 2019 statement, she said Trump was a threat to the Constitution, that he used his power for personal gain and that his actions jeopardized national security. 

Senate majority leader Mitch McConnell said in a statement Wednesday the Senate will not vote to remove Trump from office until Biden is inaugurated.

Twitter: @maia_spoto