Lacrosse: Wildcats add Hall of Famer Casey Powell as volunteer assistant

Daily file photo by Evan Robinson-Johnson

The Wildcats during a 2019 game. NU’s 2020 season opens on Friday against Detroit Mercy.

Ella Brockway, Sports Editor

Lacrosse

National Lacrosse Hall of Famer Casey Powell will join Northwestern as a volunteer assistant this season, the program announced in a Tuesday press release.

With a decorated career and a trophy cabinet full of awards and honors, Powell is one of the greatest players in the history of men’s lacrosse. The New York native twice captained the U.S. National Team, and has been named the Most Valuable Player of both Major League Lacrosse and the National Lacrosse League before he was unanimously inducted into the sport’s Hall of Fame in 2017.

“He has achieved such a high level of success because of his passion, work ethic and love for the game,” coach Kelly Amonte Hiller said in the release. “We could not be more excited to have Casey bring that passion and energy to our program.”

Powell played college lacrosse at Syracuse from 1995 to 1998. He was a three-time first team All-American and was named the Most Outstanding Player in the sport twice, at two different positions — as a midfielder in 1996 and at attack in 1998.

He spent 19 years playing in the NLL, earning spots on five All-Star teams while playing on teams around the country. He finished his MLL career with 542 goals and 647 assists across five teams. Powell most recently served as the director of player development for Team ONE Lacrosse, one of the top travel lacrosse teams in Illinois.

The Wildcats will open their 2020 season on Friday at home against Detroit Mercy.

Twitter: @ellabrockway