Northwestern alum Michael Wilbon named to National Sports Media Association Hall of Fame

Gabriela Carroll, Assistant Sports Editor

Michael Wilbon (Medill ’80) was named to the National Sports Media Association Hall of Fame, the NSMA said Monday.

Wilbon is a Medill professor and a trustee at Northwestern. He is the longtime co-host of ESPN’s Pardon the Interruption and a featured columnist for ESPN.com and ESPNChicago.com. Before ESPN, he worked as a columnist for the Washington Post for over 20 years. During his time at Medill, Wilbon was the sports editor at The Daily Northwestern.

He joined the inaugural class of the Medill Hall of Achievement in 1997 and received the top sports columnist of the year by the Society of Professional Journalists in 2001. Wilbon also received the Lifetime Achievement Award in 2009 from the National Association of Black Journalists.

Wilbon will be one of the coaches of the 2020 NBA All-Star Celebrity Game in Chicago alongside fellow ESPN personality Stephen A. Smith.

Fellow 2020 inductees into the NSMA Hall of Fame include Dan Patrick, Tom Verducci, Skip Caray, Cawood Ledford and Dick Young. The inductees will be honored at the 61st Annual NSMA Awards Banquet in June.

They will be honored alongside the 2019 sportswriter of the year, Adrian Wojnarowski, and the 2019 sportscaster of the year, Kevin Harlan, in addition to equivalent state-level awards.

Twitter: @gablcarroll