Man struck by car at Orrington and Foster intersection

EFD+pours+water+to+clean+up+Orrington+Avenue+after+a+car+struck+a+30-year-old+Chicago+resident.+That+resident+was+transported+to+Evanston+Hospital+with+non-life-threatening+injuries.+

Evan Robinson-Johnson/Daily Senior Staffer

EFD pours water to clean up Orrington Avenue after a car struck a 30-year-old Chicago resident. That resident was transported to Evanston Hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

Evan Robinson-Johnson, Photo Editor

A 30-year-old male Chicago resident was hit by a car at the intersection of Orrington Avenue and Foster Street at approximately 6 p.m. Tuesday night.

The man suffered a laceration to the head, and the Evanston Fire Department immediately transported him to Evanston Hospital, said Evanston police Cmdr. Ryan Glew. His injuries are non-life-threatening, according to Glew.

“He was talking to us,” EPD officer Marvin Thomas told The Daily. “He should be okay.”

The man was walking toward Northwestern’s campus and was crossing Orrington Avenue on the south sidewalk when he was struck by the car, Glew said.

Glew added that the driver will receive a citation for failure to yield to a pedestrian. The driver stayed on the scene after the accident and complied with EPD officers.

According to the Illinois Vehicle Code, “Every driver of a vehicle shall exercise due care to avoid colliding with any pedestrian… and shall give warning by sounding the horn when necessary.”

After the accident, Evanston firefighters poured water on the street to clear blood from the scene. Glew said this is standard cleanup procedure.

A previous version of this story incorrectly stated the intersection the crash occurred. It happened at Foster Street and Orrington Avenue. The Daily regrets the error.

Twitter: @sightsonwheels