Celebrate Halloween in Evanston this weekend at a variety of themed events

Zoe Malin, Reporter

Evanston doesn’t have to wait until Oct. 31 to celebrate Halloween, thanks to a variety of themed events this weekend. Neighbors can show off their costumes, engage with local businesses and collect as much candy as they can fill their pockets with.

Reprise Coffee Roasters Spooky Latte Art Throw Down

On Friday, Oct. 25 at 6 p.m., Reprise Coffee Roasters is gathering baristas from local cafes to compete in a latte art throwdown at its new Evanston location, 710 Main St. Participants will pour steamed milk designs for a panel of judges, and attendees can watch while enjoying free snacks and lattes. To add a Halloween twist, Reprise is hosting a simultaneous costume contest and will play spooky music.

“The event is a great way for us to connect with our coffee community in Chicago and on the North Shore,” said owner Hunter Owen. “I think it’s going to be a Graveyard Smash.”

Downtown Evanston’s Trick or Treat Stroll

Downtown Evanston will host a costume parade from Raymond Park to Fountain Square starting at 11 a.m. on Saturday, Oct. 26. Those interested can meet at the park at 10:45 a.m. A pet costume contest will also take place at 1 p.m. at the south plaza of Fountain Square.

During Saturday’s Trick or Treat Stroll from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., participants can visit local businesses to collect candy and other treats. Some stores will give out coupons or offer discounts, and others are holding raffles. View the full list of activities on Facebook.

Spooky Saturday on The Main-Dempster Mile

Starting at 10:30 a.m. on Saturday, Oct. 26, residents can trick-or-treat at businesses on The Main-Dempster Mile and attend events like a dog costume contest at Soapie’s Dry Cleaning and Tailoring. Vogue Fabrics has a ghost-filled Halloween scene in its main display window, open to attendees for pictures. View the full Spooky Saturday schedule online.

Additionally, Katherine Gotsick, executive director of The Main-Dempster Mile, said “Amanecer Taco Shop is going all out for their Día de Los Muertos celebration,” which is from 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. on Saturday. The restaurant will serve sugar skull cookies and pan de muerto from Evanston’s Sweet Temptations Bake Shop, and there will be face painting. Cielito Lindo Family Folk Music, a band featured on “America’s Got Talent,” is scheduled to play outside the restaurant at 12:30 p.m. after its 11:30 a.m. set at Booked, a children’s bookstore.

Evanston Animal Shelter’s Fifth Annual Trick or Treat Trot for Tails Walkathon

The Evanston Animal Shelter’s walkathon is on Saturday, Oct. 26 at 9:30 a.m.The 2-mile walk begins at the Charles Gates Dawes House. The event is Halloween themed; participants and dogs are encouraged to come in costume, and those dressed up can enter in a costume contest before the walk begins. The shelter’s volunteers will walk with a group of shelter dogs, too. Registration costs $10 online or on-site the morning of the event.

“All money raised during the fundraiser goes to the shelter,” said Jill Cabot, communications director. “We are a no-kill shelter, so fundraisers like this help us a lot.”

Halloween Bash at Whiskey Thief Tavern

Whiskey Thief Tavern is throwing a Halloween Bash on Saturday, Oct. 26 from 9 p.m. to 2 a.m. with a live DJ and costume contest. First-place prizes for the costume contest include a $100 gift card and a special bottle of whisky. Attendees can enter the event for free from 9 p.m. to 11 p.m. There is a $10 entry fee after 11 p.m.

Twitter: @zoermalin