Blotter: Oak Avenue construction site burgled

Joshua Irvine, Reporter

Several thousand dollars’ worth of building materials were reported stolen Monday morning.

Evanston police Cmdr. Ryan Glew said officers responded Monday at 11:40 a.m. to a construction site in the 1700 block of Oak Avenue. An employee told officers 2,464 feet of copper tubing — valued at $7,000 — were stolen between 5 p.m. Sunday and 7 a.m. that day.

Officers conducted a search and recovered some of the tubing on the Metra tracks east of the construction site. Glew said the tubing appeared to have been thrown from the 14th floor of the construction site, where it had been stored Sunday. Officers were unable to determine a point of entry or exit by the thieves.

Police have no suspects and no one in custody.

Man arrested for DUI on Central Street

Officers responded Monday to reports of an intoxicated man in a back lot in the 2800 block of Central Street.

Glew said officers found an unconscious man in the driver’s seat of a Ford pickup truck with the keys in the ignition. The officers woke the man and asked him to exit the vehicle. The man had visible difficulty standing and speaking and was permitted to sit on the truck’s bumper, Glew said.

Officers conducted a search of the vehicle and discovered drug paraphernalia. The driver failed a field sobriety test and declined chemical testing. The driver said he had been arrested some time ago on a drug-related DUI, Glew said.

The man was arrested and charged with a DUI. His court date is set for Nov. 18.

Twitter: @maybejoshirvine