Northwestern sets search committee for new vice president of student affairs

Evan Robinson-Johnson/Daily Senior Staffer

Julie Payne-Kirchmeier. The University announced the creation of a committee to find a permanent vice president of Student Affairs.

Neya Thanikachalam, Assistant Campus Editor

Northwestern announced Thursday the creation of a search committee to find a permanent vice president for Student Affairs to replace Julie Payne-Kirchmeier, who is temporarily filling the position after Patricia Telles-Irvin passed away in June.

Miriam Sherin, the associate provost for undergraduate education, will chair the committee, which will also include students such as Associated Student Government president Isabel Dobbel, staff and faculty. The committee includes representatives from many different schools and programs at the University, ranging from Student Enrichment Services to the Department of Athletics and Recreation.

The position manages the Division of Student Affairs at the University, which oversees a variety of services for students, including Campus Inclusion and Community, New Student and Family Programs and Fraternity and Sorority Life. The University has not yet released the date the position will be filled.

The University also encouraged members of the Northwestern community to add their input to the selection process, and Provost Jonathan Holloway said the committee would begin its search right away.

“President Schapiro and I look forward to the process and to receiving the advice and counsel of the committee,” Holloway said in the release.

Twitter: @neyachalam