Northwestern names Shandra White as new executive director for Sponsored Research

Amy Li, Campus Editor

Shandra White has been named the executive director of Sponsored Research and will begin her tenure in the Office of Research on Oct. 1, the University announced Monday.

The Office for Sponsored Research is responsible for assisting investigators in proposing and managing sponsored programs. White will be taking over during a time of accelerated growth in sponsored research at Northwestern.

In the release, White said she is excited to work with Northwestern’s rich research portfolio.

“I am thrilled to be joining the Northwestern research team, especially at this time, when so much great research across all disciplines is taking place here,” White said in the release. “I am passionate about building an effective, efficient, and collaborative environment and working alongside colleagues to provide researchers with exemplary service that furthers their transformative science and scholarship.”

The Regent University graduate has worked in university research administration since 2005 , formerly as senior financial services manager at George Mason University before serving as the director of sponsored projects and research enhancement in the Office of the Vice President for Research at George Washington University.

In her new role, White will report to Rex Chisholm, associate Vice President for research in the Office of Research.

Chisholm said White’s leadership experience and knowledge in sponsored research will make her a valuable asset to the university.

“We see her providing significant benefits for Northwestern researchers by bringing an innovative mindset and collaborative, ‘self-first’ approach to the team,” Chisholm said. “Shandra will support our strategic efforts to create additional administrative efficiencies within our thriving research ecosystem.”

Twitter: @amyhitsthebooks