District 65 Superintendent Paul Goren resigns

(Daily file photo by Colin Boyle)

Evanston/Skokie School District 65 Superintendent Paul Goren. In a joint statement with board president Suni Kartha, Goren announced his resignation.

Julia Esparza, City Editor

Evanston/Skokie School District 65 Superintendent Paul Goren announced his resignation effective July 1.

Board members and Goren “agree that this is an opportune time to transition the leadership to build on the progress made over the past five years,” according to a joint statement with board president Suni Kartha sent Friday afternoon.

The board will appoint Stacy Beardsley, assistant superintendent for curriculum and instruction, as interim superintendent during the summer months. According to the statement, an interim superintendent for the 2019-20 school year will be named by mid-August, while the board searches for a new leader.

“We are at a point with our labor agreements solidified over the next five years and resources from the referendum maintaining financial stability for the next six years, for a transition to occur where new leadership can design and shape the next strategic direction for the district,” Goren said in the statement.

The longtime Evanston resident has served as District 65 superintendent since March 2014.

Twitter: @juliaesparza10