R&B singer Teyana Taylor to be daytime headliner at Dillo Day

Teyana Taylor. In addition to singing, the star is a choreographer, model and reality television star.

Gabby Birenbaum, Campus Editor

R&B singer Teyana Taylor will be the daytime headliner at Dillo Day, according to a Mayfest release.

Taylor, the ‘First Lady’ of Kanye West’s G.O.O.D. Music record label, has wide range of talents, having served as a choreographer for Beyoncé, model in New York Fashion Week and star of her own reality television series “Teyana and Iman”. Musically, the soulful singer released her debut album “VII”in 2014 and followed it up with “K.T.S.E.”, which stands for “Keep That Same Energy”, in 2018.

Like nighttime headliner A$AP Ferg, Taylor is also from Harlem. Mayfest concerts committee member Amirah Ford said the artists’ similarities make them an ideal pair for a festival.

“Ferg’s trap vibe and Teyana’s soulful R&B sound complement one another, sharing a common struggle and dedication to their culturally rich hometown,” Ford said in the release. “Together, the two make a perfect headliner and daytime headliner combination.”

Joining Ferg, EDM artist Anna Lunoe, indie rock band Hippo Campus and pop singer Daya, Taylor rounds out the group of 2019 main stage artists.

Ford said Taylor is part of a long lineage of female R&B singers “from Whitney Houston to Lauryn Hill”, and like those who came before her, Taylor’s music has moved the genre forward while remaining grounded in its distinctive roots.

On “K.T.S.E”, Ford recommended songs including “3 Way”, where Taylor explores her sexuality, “Issues”, where she examines her insecurities, and “Rose in Harlem”, where the artist considers her Harlem roots and the challenges she faced. Overall, Ford said the album, though short, reaches incredible depths in its vulnerability.

Taylor’s rich discography and performing chops make Ford excited for Dillo attendees to attend her set.

“Teyana has proven herself as not only an artist, but a performer; she captivates her audience through her sweet, yet slightly-raspy voice and provocative choreography,” Ford said in the release. “Thus, we are so psyched to see Teyana work the stage. Get ready and get hype, because New York is in the house!”

Twitter: @birenbomb