Women’s Basketball: Lindsey Pulliam takes her talents to Colorado Springs for Pan American Games trials

Daily file photo by Owen Stidman

Lindsey Pulliam drives to the basket. The sophomore was invited to the Pan American Games team trials this weekend.

Andrew Golden, Web Editor

Women’s Basketball

Sophomore guard Lindsey Pulliam will pack her bags this weekend and head to Colorado Springs, Colorado to participate in the 2019 Pan American Games team trials.

Pulliam, who earned first team All-Big Ten honors last season, was one of 36 athletes selected to participate in the trials and one of six Big Ten players chosen. All of the student-athletes must be American citizens who are full-time college students and eligible for the 2019-2020 basketball season.

Coming off of a solid freshman campaign, Pulliam was undoubtedly the offensive leader for Northwestern this season. She averaged 16.5 points per game, which ranked fifth in the conference and first among the Big Ten players attending the trials.

In the postseason, the sophomore guard from Silver Spring, Maryland was even more impressive, increasing her scoring to 18.3 points per game while grabbing 5.7 rebounds.

Pulliam’s success was rewarded as she was named to the WNIT All-Tournament team, while also becoming the fastest player in program history to reach 1,000 points.

The sophomore guard will have to compete with 20 other guards for a spot on the roster, including four from the Big Ten.

Fortunately for Pulliam, 2019 Pan American Games coach Suzy Merchant has had the privilege of watching Pulliam play as she coaches Big Ten foe Michigan State.

From this weekend’s trials, 12 players will be chosen for training camp in Colorado Springs in late July before heading to Peru for the Pan American Games, which takes place from August 6-10.

Twitter: @andrewcgolden