Fistfight leads to arrest in Lincoln Street brawl

Joshua Irvine, Copy chief

Police arrested a man Friday afternoon after a brawl in the 700 block of Lincoln Street.

Evanston Police Department officers responded to a report of fighting around 2 p.m. Upon arrival, officers found three people fighting on the ground outside, said Evanston police Cmdr. Ryan Glew.

Glew said officers witnessed a 19-year-old man and his 53-year-old father holding down an 18-year-old man.

According to interviews conducted by police, the 18-year-old Skokie resident confronted the 19-year-old Evanston resident in his yard regarding a prior dispute, Glew said. The 18-year-old man reportedly swung an ice scraper at the 19-year-old man while taunting the other man.

The Evanston man approached the Skokie man and wrestled him to the ground, receiving a blow from the ice scraper in the process, Glew said. The Evanston man’s father witnessed the two on the ground and ran to help his son, Glew said. It remains unclear who called the police.

Glew said after police broke up the fight, all three men received medical attention. The 18-year-old man and the 19-year-old man both suffered abrasions to their hands, Glew said.

Glew said the Skokie man had been harassing the Evanston man for some time. According to police reports, the Skokie man claimed the Evanston man had stolen money from him previously and had rushed the suspect with the intent of fighting him. The Skokie man does not appear to have filed a complaint against the Evanston man.

The Evanston man, however, did sign a complaint. Police arrested the 18-year-old Skokie man and charged him with one misdemeanor count of assault, Glew said. His court date is set for May 29.

Twitter: @maybejoshirvine