Illinois public health officials increase efforts to vaccinate in response to measle increase

Antonio Perez/Chicago Tribune/TNS

“We are taking the threat posed by a rise in measles cases very seriously and are committed to taking action to keep Illinoisans safe,” Gov. J.B. Pritzker said after the Illinois Department of Public Health said it would expand its efforts to increase the state’s vaccination rate.

Andres Correa, Assistant City Editor

In response to an increase of reported measles across the state, the Illinois Department of Public Health said in a Tuesday news release that it will expand its efforts to increase the state’s vaccination rate.

This year alone, 626 cases of measles have been confirmed, seven of them in Illinois, according to the latest information from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention.

The department’s news release said the state will be increasing access to vaccines, expanding outreach in communities with low vaccination rates and educating the public. Public health officials will be working with various groups including schools, religious groups, and parent and community organizations to provide vaccinations.

“We are taking the threat posed by a rise in measles cases very seriously and are committed to taking action to keep Illinoisans safe,” Gov. J.B. Pritzker said in the release. “There is no more important responsibility of our state government than keeping Illinoisans healthy and safe, and addressing this threat is a top priority for my administration as we move forward.”

Twitter: @aocorrea1