Man arrested for unlawful use of a weapon following foot chase

Julia Esparza, City Editor

Evanston police officers arrested a 19-year-old Chicago man in connection with unlawful use of a weapon following foot chase in south Evanston.

Officers were parked in the 800 block of Howard Street when they observed a car “squealing its tires,” Evanston police Cmdr. Ryan Glew said. Officers pulled over the vehicle but the occupants fled when the police (?) car stopped. Officers pursued an occupant that was holding his waistband because “this behavior indicated that the subject was possibly armed,” according to an Evanston Police Department news release.

Police detained the man in the 7400 block of Hoyne Avenue and recovered a 9 mm handgun. The man did not have a Concealed Carry License or a FOID Card.

EPD charged the man with felony aggravated unlawful use of a weapon and four misdemeanors related to his possession of a weapon and ammunition without a FOID card and resisting and obstructing a peace officer.

Burglary reported at preschool

Police responded to a report of burglary at a Puerta Abierta Preschool in the 900 block of Chicago Avenue early Tuesday morning.

A janitor arrived at the school around 5 a.m. on April 2 to find a window broken by a fire extinguisher, Glew said. The 67-year-old Skokie woman who reported the incident told police that $950 was missing from a lock box that appeared to have been pried open.

Police do not have any suspects.

Twitter: @juliaesparza10