Northwestern steps up security, plans prayer for New Zealand shooting victims

Members+of+the+public+react+in+front+of+the+Masjd+Al+Noor+Mosque+as+they+fear+for+their+relatives+on+March+15%2C+2019+in+Christchurch%2C+New+Zealand.+49+people+have+been+confirmed+dead+and+more+than+20+are+injured+following+attacks+at+two+mosques+in+Christchurch.+

Kai Schwoerer/Getty Images/TNS

Members of the public react in front of the Masjd Al Noor Mosque as they fear for their relatives on March 15, 2019 in Christchurch, New Zealand. 49 people have been confirmed dead and more than 20 are injured following attacks at two mosques in Christchurch.

Alan Perez, Editor in Chief

Northwestern is stepping up security after shootings at two mosques in New Zealand killed and injured dozens.

In an email to the Northwestern community, University President Morton Schapiro said NU “joins the worldwide Muslim community, as well as the citizens of New Zealand, in grieving the effects of this horror.” He said the Evanston and Chicago campuses will receive “special security precautions” during Friday prayers.

Schapiro also invited the NU community to a prayer at 2 p.m. in Parkes Hall 122. Chaplains and representatives from Counseling and Psychological Services will be available.

Police took three men and one woman into custody after shootings at two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand during Friday Prayer. At least 49 people were killed and 20 seriously injured. One man was charged with murder and will appear in court on Saturday, authorities said.

“Please take time today to think of not only those directly affected in a distant nation, but all those in our own community who carry the heavy burdens of this day,” Schapiro said in the email.

Twitter: @_perezalan_