Kellogg partners with ed-tech company 2U, Inc to offer online business courses

Brain Meng/Daily Senior Staffer

Inside the Kellogg Global Hub. 2U, Inc. will team up with the University to provide online courses on business and leadership skills.

Adrian Wan, Reporter

The Kellogg School of Management will be providing new development programs to business, government and nonprofit leaders through a partnership with 2U, Inc., a global education technology company, according to a recent news release.

By collaborating with 2U, Kellogg will deliver two short business-focused courses to “provide executives with in-demand career skills,” according to the release. The online programs are designed for anyone who is not currently enrolled in any Kellogg degree-granting programs but seeks to “improve their performance as a business manager and organizational leader,” Paul Christensen, Kellogg’s associate dean for executive education, said in an email to The Daily.

While Kellogg is still working with 2U to determine the specific topics for the online programs, the first course is expected to launch in October 2019.

As part of its continuous efforts to expand its non-degree executive education programming worldwide, the partnership with 2U will benefit business leaders by providing them an opportunity to “learn from top professors at Kellogg on important business topics,” Christensen said.

“Because these programs are online, Kellogg can reach those who may not otherwise have access to our more traditional face-to-face executive programming,” he said.

Christensen added that Kellogg became familiar with 2U through its current partnership in powering an online Master of Arts in Counseling program called Counseling@Northwestern. As an active participant in online learning since 2016, when its first certificate program in marketing essentials was launched, Kellogg partnered with 2U — “one of the leading online education partners in the world” — to deliver online education, he said.

“2U was a good fit for Kellogg to extend its reach by engaging in a partnership to design and deliver new programs to business and organizational leaders around the world,” Christensen said in the email.

2U is “excited” to further its partnership with Northwestern by collaborating with Kellogg in providing online short courses in business, the company’s president of university partnerships and services Andrew Hermalyn said in the release.

“Kellogg is known for its focus on global experiential learning that cuts across geographic boundaries and cultures. This mission and their commitment to student outcomes made Kellogg an ideal partner for 2U,” Hermalyn said.

Twitter: @piuadrianw